Monday, October 8, 2007

Planting Caring Harvesting

I've done a fair bit of travelling over the last few weeks, and as I have travelled i have noticed that there a a few crops approaching readiness for harvest. It doesn't seem to be all that long ago that i saw news reports of farmers working day and night after some good rain trying to get the ground prepared and seeds sown in the hope of a good crop and some more rain.

Now as i am travelling around is can see fields of what i think is barley, wheat and canola all approaching readiness for harvest. Now I am certainly no farmer, and i don't really know how long is left until these crops will be harvested, but i do know that when the time comes, the farmers will be flat out getting that crop in, this is what they have been waiting for.

As I was doing my devotions last night i re-read the story of Jesus' encounter with the Samaritan woman at the well. It is the latter part of this passage in John chapter 4 that got me thinking about these paddocks again.

As i look back over my life i can see people who have planted seeds in my life, i can see people who have watered those seeds and tended the new shoots as they have grown from a seed. I can also see that there were people who recognised my readiness and harvested the product of those seeds. I also hope that i am now watering, tending and harvesting the results of seed planted in my life and in the life of others.

While it took people to plant tend and harvest, it is God that has really done much of the work; prompting, challenging and helping me to grow and much of the credit of who I have become today goes to Him.

John 4: 35 - 38 says:
Jesus said, "The food that keeps me going is that I do the will of the One who sent me, finishing the work he started. As you look around right now, wouldn't you say that in about four months it will be time to harvest? Well, I'm telling you to open your eyes and take a good look at what's right in front of you. These Samaritan fields are ripe. It's harvest time!

"The Harvester isn't waiting. He's taking his pay, gathering in this grain that's ripe for eternal life. Now the Sower is arm in arm with the Harvester, triumphant. That's the truth of the saying, 'This one sows, that one harvests.' I sent you to harvest a field you never worked. Without lifting a finger, you have walked in on a field worked long and hard by others."

The same is true today, lets get out there, plant the seeds of the good news of Jesus Christ in peoples lives, lets care for those who are growing in their faith and lets harvest that which is ready and put it to use for the Kingdom of God.

It is my prayer that there will always be seeds being sown, growth being tended to, and harvests being yielded. Is this your prayer? And if so, what are you doing about it?

No comments: