Wednesday, October 24, 2007

I'm Mediocre, And Thats O.K.

There is a line in a Monty Python movie that goes; "You're all individuals." To which the massed crowd chants back; "Yes, we're all individuals." And I remember another story that I heard at the National Youth Ministry Conference where a person was telling someone how special they were and how everyone is special, and it was pointed out that if we are all special, then we are all the same.

I have been thinking about this concept of us all being special and how it relates to my faith and relationship with Jesus lately. I'm not sure that I have really come up with any real conclusive or concrete conclusions, but I do find it an interesting thing to think about.

The reality is that I'm mediocre, I'm just average. I'm not really great at any particular sport, I can do ok in many sports, but I'm not exactly the most valuable player in any team really. I'm not incredibly smart, the last time I took an IQ test it was above 100 (which is the average score of the entire worlds population), but it wasnt a long way above it. I'm normal (although some may disagree) and I'm ok with that.

When I think about it, is normal really all that bad? I'm in good company, there are a lot of people who are normal or average, and a lot of 'normal' people have had an impact on my life, and on yours too, I reckon. But what does being 'normal' and 'average' mean in relationship to our faith?

Let's take a look at how life is shown on T.V first though:

I was at a conference earlier this year where the concept of 'Hyper-reality', especailly in relation to Generation Y was raised by Mark Sayers. This Hyper-reality is evident no more clearly than on TV.

My generation (gen Y) have been constantly bombarded with this concept where things have to be realer than real, where everything has to be exciting or interesting or unique or special or whatever, and so as a result, if we are normal or average we feel less important. Have a look at TV or movies, how often are things like going to the toilet or just sitting down infront of the TV or doing the dishes mentioned. Take the show 24 for example. Now, I'm no 24 expert, in fact i rarely watch it, but when was the last time Jack Bauer went to the loo or had something to eat? That bloke seems to go 24 hours without eating, drinking or going to the toilet!!!!

And, NOT that I watch Home and Away AT ALL or Neighbours more than very INfrequently, but, seriously, would you want to live in those towns?? There always seems to be some stalker/natural disaster/evil scheme going on. Where are the days of the smae routine things followed by more days of routine things??

We are constantly bombarded by messages that seem to say, "normal is boring, look for excitement whereever you can."

So where does this leave me and my faith??

I know Jesus died for my sins, but he died for yours as well. I know that I have been called by God to be an officer in The Salvation Army, but so are many others (if you're called and havent answered what are you waiting for?? Come on, we need more officers), God has a plan for my, my community, and the world, but He also has a plan for you and your community; they may not be the same, but He does have a plan for our lives. So the details may differ, but in the bigger picture you and I are not all that different.

What if you're not called to be an officer or anything like that? Does that mean anything? Maybe you're called to be a local officer, or maybe your called to simply be a member of the church who lives in a community and quietly goes about telling your friends about Jesus and reforming society from the unseen background, thats still important (remember we're all part of a body, we need all of the parts to be effective)!!!

The reality is that I am mediocre, average, normal, plain, whatever...

BUT God can use me!!! When I am mediocre, average, normal, etc, I leave room for God to be great.

I know I have probably rambled a bit in this post, but it's something that I have been thinking about for a while. Let me know what you think.

I leave you with the words of the apostle Paul:
1 Corinthians 4:6-8 (New International Version)
Now, brothers, I have applied these things to myself and Apollos for your benefit, so that you may learn from us the meaning of the saying, "Do not go beyond what is written." Then you will not take pride in one man over against another. For who makes you different from anyone else? What do you have that you did not receive? And if you did receive it, why do you boast as though you did not?
Already you have all you want! Already you have become rich! You have become kings—and that without us! How I wish that you really had become kings so that we might be kings with you!

No comments: