Thursday, November 1, 2007

Safety Is Boring

Being safe is boring.

I'm sure that I have probably mentioned it before, but I am a bit of an adrenalin junkie. I like extreme sports. The best surf that I have ever had was out in waves that were nearly twice as tall as I am. The most fun I have ever had on a mountain bike was a) burning through a set of blind 'S' bends on a narrow dirt track (as it turned out only moments before crashing and destroying my bike, owch) and b) clocking a personal best of 70km/h down a hill (but being frustrated because I couldn't get the bike into a low enough gear to go faster).

I like to go fast, I like driving fast on bendy roads (I obey the speed limit though, and only ever put myself at risk - but that is another blog), I love my new motorbike, it's great fun to ride!!

I'm not a big fan of routine, I like doing different and new stuff, but understand that routine is helpful at times.

I like it best when my faith in God challenges and pushes me to do new and different stuff.

This week I have been reading a book by Erwin Raphael McManus titled the Barbarian Way. This book is about rejecting a civilised, religious Christianity and embracing a Christianity which is untamed, uncivilised, barbaric faith.

One thing that Mcmanus said that stood out so much I wrote it down was this: "God asks: 'Are you willing to lose everything on my behalf to gain everything I desire for you? Rather than living a long life are you willing to live a life worth living?"'

Or in other words; Are you here for a Long Time or a Great Time?????

Sometimes I wonder whether we have made our lives to safe?

Look around, we now have fridges that purify the air around us, new houses come with regulators on the hot water so that we cant scald ourselves in the shower, we even try to make our faith in Jesus Christ safe, by re-interpreting what He said so as not to cause offence!!

Safety is good, it keeps us alive. Cars with air bags, seat belts etc are good. Driving in a safe manner is good too. Taking adequate precautions before getting on a bike is logical. But sometimes, it is nice to let loose, let go and have some fun.

I have never felt more alive than when I have had adrenaline coursing through my veins while out in a big swell or belting through the bush on a mountain bike. AND, I have never felt more spiritually connected to God than when my faith is raw and untamed and I am doing exactly what He wants me to do!!!!

God never promises to keep us safe!! If He did that, why are people killed for their faith?? God never promises safety but He does promise that He will always be with us, even when we are in danger.

Check the bible if you don't believe me.

Look at all of the prophets and the crazy stuff they did; married a prostitute, cooked their food over flaming cow poo, built a boat in the desert during a drought, marched around a city in silence for 6 days then on the 7th marched around it making a whole lot of noise, lived in the wilderness, wore clothes made out of sheep skins goat skins, Camel skins, ate locusts and wild honey, the list goes on!!! These mighty men of God were probably seen as crazy in their day, now we see them as hero's!!

Check out John 21:
17 The third time he said to him, "Simon son of John, do you love me?" Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, "Do you love me?" He said, "Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you."
Jesus said, "Feed my sheep. 18 I tell you the truth, when you were younger you dressed yourself and went where you wanted; but when you are old you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go." 19Jesus said this to indicate the kind of death by which Peter would glorify God. Then he said to him, "Follow me!"
And look at 2 Corinthians 11:
23Are they servants of Christ? (I am out of my mind to talk like this.) I am more. I have worked much harder, been in prison more frequently, been flogged more severely, and been exposed to death again and again. 24Five times I received from the Jews the forty lashes minus one. 25Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was stoned, three times I was shipwrecked, I spent a night and a day in the open sea, 26I have been constantly on the move. I have been in danger from rivers, in danger from bandits, in danger from my own countrymen, in danger from Gentiles; in danger in the city, in danger in the country, in danger at sea; and in danger from false brothers. 27I have labored and toiled and have often gone without sleep; I have known hunger and thirst and have often gone without food; I have been cold and naked.
Christianity is not about being safe, it is about being obedient to God and following His leading in your life.
Dare to do the different, dare to do the scary, dare to do the crazy, just dare!!
God doesn't promise you safety when you choose to follow Him, in fact McManus suggests that danger may be a sign that you are being obedient to God rather than being disobedient to God!!!
So next time you pray, instead of talking to God, try listening...
It might lead you down a dangerous path.
Are you here for a Long Time or are you here for a Great Time???

No comments: