Monday, November 5, 2007

A Great Ordinary Life

Have I confused anyone yet??

Last week I posted 2 blogs. The first was on how I am ordinary and not really great at anything in particular, and how most of us will go on to live lives devoid of any sort of celebrityness (its a new word I just made up). The second blog was about how we are called to live a dangerous life that is great in God's eyes.

It seems that I have contradicted my self (perhaps I should be in politics??)

Or have I??

What if we are called to live extraordinarily in the midst of our ordinary lives??

What if we are meant to live dangerously in the midst of our safety??

The reality is that most of us will probably never have to choose between loving Jesus and living, most of us will probably never be sent to jail for indeterminate periods of time for loving Jesus, most of us will probably never have to choose to give up everything that we know and love in order to follow Jesus.

But...

Does that mean that we have to live a life of safety??

I think not!!!

I have been challenged to live a dangerous life in the midst of my ordinaryness (another word i just made up). I can be dangerous to the Devil and his demons by committing to pray, read the Bible and telling others about Jesus.

This is dangerous for me too, as I have to put my pride, dignity and image on the line. Am I prepared to have my ego banged up a bit, am I prepared to feel undignified, am I prepared to be seen by others as weird, or uncool or a Jesus Freak??

Are you???

I may not be spectacular at anything in particular, but maybe one day I will be, or maybe I wont...

But I can think of a number of people, who you probably have never heard of, that have had spectacular influences in my life.

I think of my parents, to whom much of the credit for who I am today is due.

I think of Kathy, my Sunday School teacher who helped build in the foundations of my faith.

I think of Zorina, one of my best mates mum, who was also my Junior Soldier Sergeant and encouraged me to grow in my faith.

I think of Craig, now an officer of The Salvation Army, who lead my youth group and bible study group, who took time to teach me biblical principles, the exact details of which I cant remember, but they are a part of me now, and also took the time to make bible study fun with games like indoor markings up and cricket using a 1.25L drink bottle as a bat, a soft Macca's footy as a ball and a chair as the wickets. Those times of fellowship with my mates were great!!

None of these people were extraordinary by any of the worlds standards, but they were extraordinary in my life.

They did dangerous things in the Spiritual dimension, and possibly dangerous things in a social dimension, that have shaped my life today.

I am sure that most of us would love to be great at just one thing, but the reality is that most of us are going to be ordinary. BUT. We're in great company. Let us not forget the ordinary people who have had extraordinary influences on our lives. Praise God for them!!

This week I challenge you to do something dangerous...

Talk to someone about Jesus, perform a random act of kindness (even if it might make you uncool), take up a social justice cause - even if it does cost you something!!

Be extraordinary in your ordinaryness!!

And just quietly, even in the Western World people suffer for their faith...

Spare a thought and a prayer for the kids in the school yards across Australia who are bullied and bashed up because they're a Christian, that was me not so long ago. To those who are there today, I don't know exactly what you're going through, but I understand and am praying for you!! Don't give up, it's worth hanging in there!!! God bless you!!!

2 comments:

fee said...

thanks joel. i want the same thing. to live an extraordinary life. we need help to do this, it's really much easier to be safe and boring - though not much gets done living this way, at least not much for God. i pray that God will strengthen you to live dangerously for Him!
(does praying for someone on their blog count as dangerous?)

Joel Clifford said...

Thanks Fee.

I think any time we pray for something like this we become dangerous. If we pray and truly expect results from God how can prayer be anything other thatn dangerous?