Sunday, August 3, 2008

Who Is God To You???

I've been reading this book lately called Divine Nobodies by Jim Palmer. I think it has become my new favourite book. Basically it is semi-autobiographical and recounts various stories from the authors life and shows how everyday people can impact and transform lives.

In one Chapter Jim talks about his traumatic childhood and the severe depression he suffered during and because of that. it is quite a provoking chapter and really forced me to consider a few things I had not really thought of before.

One thing that really stood out to me was when Jim started talking about how he pictured God. Jim spoke about how he slowly learned to see God in a different light, a shift from a condemning God who was waiting in judgement to deal with him, to a God who loved him deeply, who grieved over the pain and tragedy in Jim's life and wanted so deeply to show Jim His love.

This got me thinking, I wondered what my picture of God is.

I think that I have had different pictures or ideas of God's identity at different stages in my life. I guess at times I have seen God as some kind of Super-Santa, there to fulfil my every wish - just as long as I am a good boy. At other times I guess that I have seen God as a Judge balancing my life against a set of rules and regulations. And at other times I have seen God as the supreme Creator, loving merciful and faithful to His creations.

More and more now though, I am beginning to see God in a new light. I am beginning to understand that God cannot be pigeon-holed into one thing. Yes god gives blessings and gifts to us, yes God judges us, yes God created us, is merciful and loves us beyond anything we could comprehend. But I think God is much more than that.

As we approach Youth Event and look at the theme of Guess Who, maybe it is a good time to consider who we see God as. The bible presents God in so many ways, and I am sure God has more characteristics than we can fully comprehend at any one time. But maybe it would be good for us to examine who we think God is and then maybe take a bit of time to consider if this is who God really is??!!

I wonder if sometimes we get who God is a bit distorted by our own experiences and situations.

I would be interested to hear from you who God is to you?

What characteristics of God especially appeal to you?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

God... is love.
That's how I've always viewed him.
He has also been my refuge and the one true constant in my life.