Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Favourite Characters

What is your favourite Bible story?

Who is your favourite bible character?

My favourite bible story prabably has to be about Gideon. I love the way God takes the smallest man from the smallest family, from the smallest clan from the smallest tribe in Israel and uses him to bring about freedom and a renewal in the faith of Israel.

My favourite character though is probably Josiah. I find Josiah's character quite inspiring. Despite growning up with godlessness all around him, somehow Josiah manages to become a grat king and a great man of God. I love what 1 Kings 22: 1-2 says:

"Josiah was eight years old when he bagan to reign; he reigned thirty-one years in Jerusalem. His mothers name was Jedidah daughter of Adaiah of Bozkath. He did what was was right in the sight of the LORD, and walked in all the way of his father David; he did not turn aside to the right or the left."

Josiah was completely obedient to God, right up until the battle when he was killed, a battle that God had advised Josiah to not go into. Josiah cleared out all of the idolatry of Judah and led them back to following God.

Can you imagine what it must have been like to be the king at age 8!!!

Josiah inspires me to walk closely with God, to lead others to walk closely with Him and to lead others even if they think that I'm too young.

Who are your favourite Bible characters?

What is your favourite Bible story?

What do they teach you about God, about you, about life???

1 comment:

Sarah Eldridge said...

My favourite bible characters are Mary Magdalene and Mary (sister of Martha). Mary Magdalene used her influence and finances to support Jesus' ministry - she was one of his closest companions and friends - often described as the "Lover of Jesus" - and although people have tried to make that sexual, it really wasn't!

I love that Mary also loved Jesus so much she would anoint him with her tears (though there is question over whether that is Mary sister of Martha or Mary Magdalene), what an act of worship that is.

For me, they teach me that it's completely okay just to love Jesus - and forget the rest, to sit at His feet, to worship Him, to follow Him and to lay my life down before Him - no matter the cost or what others think of me!

Hope you enjoyed the GP! :)