Tuesday, August 7, 2007

OFFENSIVE CHRISTIANITY

I was away all last week, again.

This time I had 2 conferences to attend. The first was a Paul Borden Growing Health Corps conference, and the second was a Candidates Secretaries conference.

Leading up to these conferences has been a busy time, I haven't had a lot of time in the office to do stuff, and the little time I did have was used catching up on what had come in while i was away.

So there I was at the Paul Borden conference thinking about how much I still had to do over the next few months, especially how i still hadn't had the chance to get any Youth Event info out to anyone yet, when I heard Paul Borden talking about the church and the gates of Hell.

Paul referred to the passage in the bible where Jesus turns to Peter and says "You are Peter and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hell will not prevail against it." (Joel Clifford paraphrase version)

And as I sat there it occurred to me that the way I had been thinking about the church in relation to this passage wasn't the way Jesus intended it to be. I always thought that this passage meant that the church would be able to withstand the attacks from hell, when the reality is that hell can not withstand the attacks of the church.

As I already had much of the planning for Youth Event sorted, I was amazed at how this fitted in with my theme. So with this new (to me anyway) revelation in mind i prayed about it and decided to tweak the theme a bit.

So i can now boldly say that the theme for this years Youth Event is:
Offensive Christianity

Now I'm not talking about the offense as in offending someone by saying something rude, but offense as in the opposite to defense.

Youth Event this year will be about Offending Poverty, Offending Sin, Offending Apathy and, Offending Hell.

This year Youth Event will be held in Ballarat, and will include:
A Missional Event Saturday afternoon
A Social Event Saturday night (a good chance to get dressed up!!!)
A Worship Event Sunday morning and;
A Special Event Sunday afternoon.

Posters are out this week, check them out and stay tuned for more details very soon.


1 comment:

Sarah Eldridge said...

Love it love it love it! :) So count me in!! (I'm guessing you had already) Let me know what I can do to help.
Chat soon,
Sare